Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Year of the Dragon - Good Luck is on its way!

Some people hate wintertime, but I love it. Snow to play in, my two kids' birthdays to plan for, Valentines to make, cooking and sitting around the fire. And Chinese New Year around the corner.
Gung Hay Fat Choy! I just love Chinese New Year. I think it goes back to when I was in third grade, our school spent a week visiting a school in Oakland's Chinatown. We put on shows for each other, made art, and ate together. We visited the shops of Chinatown, tasted Chinese treats and played in the park. I'll never forget it. Also, my parents took me to the Chinatown New Year's parade almost every year, and of course that included shopping in Chinatown and eating at a Grant Avenue Chinese restaurant. The year of the Dragon portends good luck, and I think we could all use some of that right now.

The Dragon is a creature of myth and legend. A symbol of good fortune and sign of intense power, the Asian Dragon is regarded as a divine beast - the reverse of the malicious monster that Westerners felt necessary to find and slay. In Eastern philosophy, the Dragon is said to be a deliverer of good fortune and a master of authority.

2 comments:

  1. I love the year of the Dragon. It was the year I am born and I do think it will be wonderful. I am working on a dragon painting too.

    ReplyDelete