Gardening frustration and other things

My vegetable garden has been rather wimpy this summer. I did get some great kale, chard and lettuce in June. But the rest of the summer it has been one issue after another. Battling with the squirrels, above, over squash. This was going to be a beautiful butternut, one of my favorites for making soup.

 It remains to be seen if we get any red tomatoes, September is usually when they ripen. It was a fog in the morning- sunny afternoon kind of summer, with many warm days, so I'm not sure why my vegs have been so lackluster.





Here is a leaf painting I made last week. A photo will have to suffice. Just got a new computer and now I have to upgrade everything, CS 5 or 6, Word, etc... it''ll take a while to get all the bits working. It's one of those 'if you give a mouse a cookie' sort of things... one thing leads to twenty more. Ugh!


We did get a lot of gorgeous anemones, though. Usually they don't bloom til September... and this was last week. Do you think we're in for an early winter?

Oh, and here's a link to a list of the 'Top 100 Picture Books of All Time', put out by School Library Journal. I'm surprised by how many recent books are on the list. Many old and new favorites, and some I've never heard of.  Take a look!

Comments

Popular Posts