Tuesday, March 12, 2013

International Women's Day at the Museum

video

We took a trip to the DeYoung museum on Saturday, to see the Girl with the Pearl Earring exhibit. Gorgeous paintings and Rembrandt prints. I highly recommend it.

Afterwards, we walked through the museum a bit. I found this beauty above, a mahogany sculpture by Elizabeth Catlett. So strong, so gorgeous. A perfect image for International Women's Day.
I decided the next time I go to the museum, I will count all the work by women artists. 
 I'm afraid of what I will find, or rather, what I won't find.


Yet I did find Anti Mass, by another woman, British artist Cornelia Parker. You really have to see it in person, to get the texture, the way it hangs, the shadows. The pieces hanging are burnt wood, from a church in Kentucky, set by an arsonist. Yes, loaded with symbolism.
She does lots of installations that are floating in air. Look her up, her work is fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment